Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What's in a Name?

 Happiness is Homegrown wasn't this blog's original name. It used to be Heather in Wonderland. I renamed it last spring, after I left my job to be a full time stay-at-home Mama. I had these big plans to grow a garden in my half-acre yard. The "garden" was already there, a large triangle fenced in long ago by a previous owner. It was so overgrown, we hired someone to rotorill it for us. Oh, how beautiful it was when it was done. The smell of freshly turned New England dirt is a smell like no other. And soon, I told myself, it would be full of vegetables.

 Then we went to DC for a month. We came home to a flourishing weed patch. But we went out there and ripped a lot of them out and planted zucchini, green beans and tomatoes.

 I learned that summer that I do not have a green thumb. The zucchini grew and we made some delicious breads with it. We did have a few bowls fills of beans, but those tomatoes never stood a chance. Some little critter ate every little green tomato. Our neighbors had a garden box, no fence for protection, yet they had beautiful tomatoes. Of course, I'll bet the little buggers was too full after eating all my tomatoes.

 This year I bought a small barrel and stuffed some herbs in it. They're grown, and all but the tarragon are in good shape, by some miracle.

 I've kept a fish alive for 2.5 years. Maybe livestock is the way to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment